The Smart home is an 8,000 square foot lakefront property in a prestigious neighbourhood of Oakville, Ontario. The client already had several televisions plus other audio and video components, but found that their home technology had become complicated and unmanageable. They were looking for a way to fully integrate all aspects of the home into one user-friendly system. At the same time, they wanted to add new state-of-the-art components. The obvious answer was a Crestron solution.
There were several challenges to making this happen. Because this was an existing home with high quality finishing, the client wanted millwork and cable runs to be kept to a minimum. Distance of signal was also an issue, as the home covers a large amount of property. Content and control needed to be sent to all areas on multiple levels of the home.
Finally, this had to be a system that would not only include a comprehensive array of current technologies (internet, HDTV, Blu-Ray, Digital content sharing, Satellite, lighting, multiple security cameras, automated shade, zoned audio, central control with local overrides) it also had to be a system that would allow for emerging technologies to be easily integrated at a later date.
OneTouch Automation of Mississauga Ontario provided the Crestron-based solution for this client. Under the leadership of Naz Kawsar, OneTouch provided the concept, the design, the installation, the programming and the commissioning for this project.
Crestron was the go-to product for virtually the entire system. By using a Crestron solution, OneTouch was able to achieve the following:
– Simple centralized control of 16 audio zones, 8 large HDTV’s and 8 security cameras
– Crestron Keypad, Remote, V Panel and Wireless Touch Panel user interface
– Ipad and Iphone control capability
– Seamless integration of satellite radio, internet, satellite TV and Blu-Ray and Digital Content Sharing.
– Limited cable runs: Using a combination of wireless signal and Crestron technology, OneTouch was able to keep cable runs to a bare minimum, with most runs restricted to a single cat-5 cable.
– Elegant local controls that blend seamlessly into the decor of the home
– A media server system that streamlines storage and retrieval of digital content
– Affordable understandable wireless controls pads everywhere they are needed in the house
– Timely supply of product and ease of assembly that resulted in less disruption for the client and lower labour costs
The client is delighted with the results. The Crestron system is more than a technology upgrade. It affords the client a new lifestyle, one where they can stop struggling with their devices and start enjoying them. From the giant high-definition 80” smart HDTV and cinema quality sound in the home theatre room to the sports-ready LCD screen beside the bar: from the peace of mind that comes from being able to easily monitor all the security cameras to the soothing sounds of background music when and where they want it, OneTouch and Crestron have changed the daily life of this family for the better.
Paul Harris, OneTouch Automation